How a Simple Routine Can Increase Your Profitability!
OK … so when I say “Routine”, it doesn’t exactly conjure up excitement does it? What if I say “Profitability”? Hopefully more excitement there!
Well I’m pleased to say that with routine comes productivity and profitability … so read on.
Routines are sometimes given a bad rap … the very word brings up feelings of boring, ho hum, mundane … (or is that just me?). As female entrepreneurs we can sometimes be distracted by bright shiny things meaning that our ability to focus on one thing for long periods of time can be … ummmm … challenging.
Having a daily routine can actually help you to work through those focus issues, to become more mindful, efficient, effective and ultimately your business will be more successful.
Well, let’s go back to basics for a moment. Why do babies need a sleep routine? Because when we take them through a process, such as bath, wrap, bed, their brain starts to know what comes next and they are getting into a state where their brain is ready for sleep.
So using that analogy we can also use routines to get our brains ready to focus. On the days that I am working my routine goes something like this:
- Return to office after doing the school run(s)
- Make a pot of tea
- Light my favourite candle at my desk, and pour my tea.
- Close my eyes and focus on my breathing … practice mindfulness for just 5 minutes.
- Spend one hour (maximum) responding to or writing emails
- Spend 30 mins on my social media (otherwise I will be distracted wondering if anyone has posted on my pages)
- Then get to work on the first task of the day … for 30 mins.
- Get up, walk or stretch for 5 minutes, sit down and return to the task … repeat …
This will obviously change depending on what clients I’m seeing, what meetings or other events I have on … but for those in-office days this is my usual routine.
The key however is to keep the routine in my scheduler … To have a list of tasks, prioritised, to work on throughout the day before I start. This scheduler also forms part of my routine and leaves no room for distractions … particularly non-productive “bright shiny” distractions.
Routines will be different for all of us, however all of us need them.
What routines do you have in place in your life that work for you? I’d love to hear them!